[at] diku [dot] dk
Leader of the Data Management and Systems (DMS) Lab and member of the Algorithms and Programming Languages (APL) Section.
My research targets building declarative and efficient data-driven systems for emerging interactive applications, bringing together techniques from software engineering and data management. My recent work has been focused on main memory and spatial databases, motivated by use cases in open geodata visualization, behavioral simulations and computer games, as well as finance. In terms of approach, I am a systems-oriented, experimental computer scientist. In other words, I love to build novel systems and use experiments to validate their properties. Recently, my joint work on latency optimization for the cloud with collaborators from Cornell University has been distinguished as a nominee for the best paper of VLDB 2013. My student Vivek Shah has been awarded the best paper runner up award at the VLDB 2014 PhD Workshop for his work on transactional partitioning.
My teaching comprises courses at the MSc and BSc level, in both data management and computer systems, as well as mentoring activities for BSc, MSc, and PhD students. I have been influenced by an active, student-centered perspective in teaching and by the notion of constructive alignment. I have been honored with the DIKU Teacher of the Year 2012 award, and was a member of the committee on the revision of DIKU's BSc program in computer science. The latter was distinguished with a special DIKU Recognition Award in 2014.
You may find more information on my current and past projects on the page of the DMS Lab.
· Matheus Ataíde, Cid de Souza, Pedro de Rezende, Marcos Vaz Salles.
The Longest Link Node Deployment Problem in Cloud Computing: a Heuristic Approach.
CLAIO 2016, Santiago, Chile.
· Tao Zou, Ronan Le Bras, Marcos Vaz Salles, Alan Demers, Johannes Gehrke.
ClouDiA: A Deployment Advisor for Public Clouds.
The VLDB Journal 24(5): 633-653 (2015). Special Issue on the Best Papers of VLDB 2013.
[Slides by Tao Zou] [Conference Version] PVLDB 6(2): 109-120 (2012) / VLDB 2013, Riva del Garda, Italy.
· Pimin Konstantin Kefaloukos, Marcos Vaz Salles, Martin Zachariasen.
Declarative Cartography: In-Database Map Generalization of Geospatial Datasets.
ICDE 2014, Chicago, USA.
· Benjamin Sowell, Marcos Vaz Salles, Tuan Cao, Alan Demers, Johannes Gehrke.
An Experimental Analysis of Iterated Spatial Joins in Main Memory.
PVLDB 6(14): 1882-1893 (2013) / VLDB 2014, Hangzhou, China.
· Pimin Konstantin Kefaloukos, Marcos Vaz Salles, Martin Zachariasen.
TileHeat: A Framework for Tile Selection.
ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2012, Redondo Beach, USA.
· Tao Zou, Guozhang Wang, Marcos Vaz Salles, David Bindel, Alan Demers, Johannes Gehrke, Walker White.
Making Time-stepped Applications Tick in the Cloud. [Slides by Tao Zou]
ACM SOCC 2011, Cascais, Portugal.
· Tuan Cao, Marcos Vaz Salles, Benjamin Sowell, Yao Yue, Alan Demers, Johannes Gehrke, Walker White.
Fast Checkpoint Recovery Algorithms for Frequently Consistent Applications. [Slides]
ACM SIGMOD 2011, Athens, Greece.
At the conference, we also presented a demo on our recovery library.
· Jens Dittrich, Lukas Blunschi, Marcos Vaz Salles.
MOVIES: Indexing Moving Objects by Shooting Index Images.
GeoInformatica 15(4): 727-767 (2011). This paper is an extended version of the SSTD 2009 conference paper.
· Guozhang Wang, Marcos Vaz Salles, Benjamin Sowell, Xun Wang, Tuan Cao, Alan Demers, Johannes Gehrke, Walker White.
Behavioral Simulations in MapReduce. [Slides by Guozhang Wang]
PVLDB 3(1): 952-963 (2010) / VLDB 2010, Singapore.
· Marcos Vaz Salles, Tuan Cao, Benjamin Sowell, Alan Demers, Johannes Gehrke, Christoph Koch, Walker White.
An Evaluation of Checkpoint Recovery for Massively Multiplayer Online Games [Slides by Tuan Cao].
PVLDB 2(1): 1258-1269 (2009) / VLDB 2009, Lyon, France.
· Jens Dittrich, Marcos Antonio Vaz Salles, Lukas Blunschi.
iMeMex: From Search to Information Integration and Back.
IEEE Data Engineering Bulleting 32(2): 28-35 (2009). Invited paper.
· Jens Dittrich, Lukas Blunschi, Marcos Antonio Vaz Salles.
Dwarfs in the Rearview Mirror: How Big are they really?
PVLDB 1(2): 1586-1597 (2008) / VLDB 2008, Auckland, New Zealand.
· Marcos Antonio Vaz Salles, Jens-Peter Dittrich, Shant Kirakos Karakashian, Olivier René Girard, Lukas Blunschi.
iTrails: Pay-as-you-go Information Integration in Dataspaces. [Slides] [Video]
VLDB 2007, Vienna, Austria.
· Lukas Blunschi, Jens-Peter Dittrich, Olivier René Girard, Shant Kirakos Karakashian, Marcos Antonio Vaz Salles.
A Dataspace Odyssey: The iMeMex Personal Dataspace Management System (Demo Paper).
CIDR 2007, Asilomar, USA.
· Jens-Peter Dittrich, Marcos Antonio Vaz Salles.
iDM: A Unified and Versatile Data Model for Personal Dataspace Management.
VLDB 2006, Seoul, South Korea.
Teaching and Mentoring
· At DIKU, I am teaching Advanced Computer Systems (formerly Principles of Computer System Design) in block 2 (Nov/16-Jan/17, since Nov/11-Jan/12), and I will be teaching in our new course on Development of Information Systems over blocks 3 and 4 (Feb/17-Jun/17). In the past, I have taught Databases and Web Programming / Data Mining (Feb/15-Apr/15, Feb/14-Apr/14) as well as Computer Networks (Apr/12-Jun/12, Apr/13-Jun/13).
· During Fall 2010, I taught Introduction to Database Systems (CS4320/1) at Cornell University. Previously, I have been a teaching assistant for the database implementation and data warehousing courses at ETH Zurich. I have also taught extension courses in database tuning while back home in Brazil.
· I am advising the following students at DIKU:
o Vivek Shah, PhD student, co-advised with Fritz Henglein.
o Michael Bang, MSc thesis student.
o Bogdan Iulian Spiridon, MSc project/thesis student.
· In the past, I have advised the following PhD students:
o Pimin Konstantin (Kostas) Kefaloukos, industrial PhD student, co-advised with Martin Zachariasen. First employment: UserReport, Denmark.
· I have also advised ten MSc thesis, three MSc project, and five BSc project/company project students at DIKU. In addition, I have co-advised two MSc thesis students and one BSc short project student.
· While at Cornell, I have helped Johannes Gehrke advise a group of talented PhD students working on data management for games and simulations. While at ETH Zurich, I have co-advised seven MSc thesis and 10 BSc project students.
· An acknowledgement is here due to my mentors: Johannes Gehrke (now at Microsoft) at Cornell University (postdoc), Jens Dittrich (now at Saarland University) and Donald Kossmann at ETH Zurich (PhD), Sérgio Lifschitz at PUC-Rio (MSc), and Claudia Bauzer Medeiros at the University of Campinas (BSc).
· Conference Organization
o Advisory committee member for OBD 2014-2016.
o Proceedings co-chair for ICDE 2012.
· PC Member
o DSAA 2016 Applications Track
o VLDB 2016 PhD Workshop
o SSTD 2015 Demo Track
o MobiWis 2015
o ACM SIGMOD 2015
o EDBT 2015
o IEEE eScience 2014
o SBBD 2014 / JIDM vol. 5
o VLDB 2014 / PVLDB vol. 7
o SSDBM 2013
o MobiDE 2013
o ICDE 2013
o DanaC 2012
o ACM SIGMOD 2012 Demo Track
o ICDE 2012
o CIKM 2011
o NetGames 2011
o MMVE 2011
o DaWaK 2011
o SSTD 2011 Demo Track.
· Reviewer for ACM TODS, ACM SIGMOD Record, Journal of Information and Data Management, Information Systems, TKDE, SNAM, and GeoInformatica.
· Department Service at DIKU
o Department Council for Strategic Advising: Member.
o DIKU Communication Board: Member.
o MSc Teaching Coordination Team: Organizer.
o CS BSc Curriculum Revision: Committee Member (concluded).
o CS MSc Profile Revision: Committee Member (concluded).
o Danish Bibliometric Evaluation: APL Section Representative (concluded).
o CS BSc International Best Practices: Committee Member (concluded).
[DBLP | Google Scholar]