[Logiweb] Canned compiler

Klaus Ebbe Grue grue at diku.dk
Sat Jun 4 16:41:22 CEST 2005

Hi logiweb at diku.dk,

Concerning the 'canned' option to the pyk compiler:

(1) Be sure to be on bach-0 when making a canned version of the compiler.
Different machines may have different versions of clisp.

(2) When using 'canned', the compiler stores all pages transitively
referenced from the page being translated, *excluding* the page being
translated. The compiler does a full compile and verify of the page being
translated before doing the dump, which is waste of time. I will change
that some time. I think one can get a quick dump of a set of pages by
constructing a page that references the pages to be canned and whose body
consists of the empty string "". Unfortunately, the associativity sections
have to be included even if the body is the empty string.

(3) Staff has not yet responded concerning quote. Until then use /tmp as
Martin suggested.

(4) Canned versions can be shared. If one student makes a canned version
and does a 'chmod go+rx' on it, anybody can execute it.

Klaus